Lockwood de Forest: Bothin tea garden (Montecito, Calif.)



San Francisco industrialist Henry Bothin and his wife Ellen Chabot Bothin purchased 350 acres of mountain and foothill land above Montecito in 1916. The property was named Mar Y Cel, but was commonly referred to as the Tea Garden; it was adjacent to the property which included their house, Piranhurst.
Lockwood de Forest was commissioned in 1932 to add to the landscaping around the tea house, amphitheater, aqueducts, and gardens. After Ellen Bothin's death in 1965, the property fell into disrepair, and the Tea House was the starting point for the 2008 Tea Fire, which destroyed a large number of residences in Montecito.


Lockwood de Forest, landscape architect


Lockwood de Forest, Jr. landscape drawings, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.


circa 1932


Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. University of California Regents.


Lockwood de Forest, landscape architect, “Lockwood de Forest: Bothin tea garden (Montecito, Calif.),” UCSB ADC Omeka, accessed December 6, 2021, http://www.adc-exhibits.museum.ucsb.edu/items/show/391.