Lockwood de Forest: Santa Barbara Museum of Art (Santa Barbara, Calif.)

adc_184b_ff302_museum_01.jpg
adc_184b_ff302_museum_02.jpg

Description

The plaza at the corner of State Street and Anapamu in downtown Santa Barbara was designed by Lockwood de Forest and architect Lutah Maria Riggs. The seating area with trees and benches allows for a brief respite prior to or just after visiting the museum. The Museum was established in 1941 in the old United States Post Office building; the facade was altered by Chicago-based architect David Adler, and financial support was given by many prominent people, including Wright Ludington and Stanley and Katherine McCormick (all were clients of de Forest).

Creator

Lockwood de Forest, landscape architect
Lutah Maria Riggs, architect

Source

Lockwood de Forest, Jr. landscape drawings, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.

Date

circa 1949

Rights

Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. University of California Regents.

Citation

Lockwood de Forest, landscape architect Lutah Maria Riggs, architect, “Lockwood de Forest: Santa Barbara Museum of Art (Santa Barbara, Calif.),” UCSB ADC Omeka, accessed December 6, 2021, http://www.adc-exhibits.museum.ucsb.edu/items/show/389.