George Washington Smith: Bryce house (Hope Ranch, Santa Barbara, Calif.)
The unincorporated community of Hope Ranch was developed in the early 1920s by the Santa Barbara Estates Inc. company, which was owned by Harold Chase, and Peter Bryce was one of the main stakeholders. Bryce was also one of the early residents, with this house designed by GW Smith in 1925, and built in 1926-1927. The property, a 12000 square foot house on 52 acres of oceanfront land, was also known as "Florestal" due to the Bryce's being avid horticulturalists.
George Washington Smith, architect
George Washington Smith papers, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.
Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. University of California Regents.
George Washington Smith, architect , “George Washington Smith: Bryce house (Hope Ranch, Santa Barbara, Calif.),” UCSB ADC Omeka, accessed September 27, 2021, http://www.adc-exhibits.museum.ucsb.edu/items/show/254.