George Washington Smith: Gavit addition (Montecito, Calif.)

adc_176_gavit_06-k.jpg
adc_176_gavit_28-k.jpg

Description

The E. Palmer Gavit residence was originally built in 1919 by Reginald Johnson; Smith designed an addition to the main house, as well as outbuildings. The property was originally named "Cuesta Linda," then "Tanglewood," and eventually Madame Ganna Waleska gave it the name "Lotusland." The gardens, originally designed by Ralph Stevens, with alterations and additions by Lockwood de Forest, have made the property an internationally famous garden site.

Creator

George Washington Smith, architect
Reginald Johnson, architect
Ralph Stevens, landscape architect

Source

George Washington Smith papers, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.

Date

circa 1925

Rights

Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. University of California Regents.

Citation

George Washington Smith, architect Reginald Johnson, architect Ralph Stevens, landscape architect, “George Washington Smith: Gavit addition (Montecito, Calif.),” UCSB ADC Omeka, accessed September 27, 2021, http://www.adc-exhibits.museum.ucsb.edu/items/show/246.