The Architecture and Design Collection at the Art, Design & Architecture Museum at the University of California, Santa Barbara is one of the largest architectural archives in North America. More than 250 collections and archives make up the ADC, a portrait of design in the region through the work of well-known figures such as Irving Gill, John Byers, Roland Coate, Sr., George Washington Smith, Myron Hunt and Harold Chambers, Robert Stacy-Judd, R. M. Schindler, Lutah Maria Riggs, Thornton Abell, Gregory Ain, Julius R. Davidson, Kem Weber, Whitney Smith and Wayne Williams, Edward Killingsworth, and Barton Myers, among others.
The exhibits, collections, and items featured on this website are a small sampling of the materials archived at the ADC. Please visit the Online Archive of California for a full list of our collections' finding aids.
Mr and Mrs Percival Jefferson owned the 1916 Reginald Johnson-designed house, Miraflores. After her death in 1950, Mr.s Jefferson's friend and…
Edla Muir, also known by her married name, Edla Muir Lambie, was born in San Francisco, California on January 23, 1906. At the age of 13, Muir worked…
Drawn from the Lucile Lloyd Papers at the University of California, Santa Barbara Architecture and Design Archive, Lucile Lloyd: A...
Recently Added Items
In this 1905 house in Texas, Cliff May creates privacy with an enclosed patio surrounded on three sides by the house and one side with a roofed porch.…
Women standing outside El Faro building (the Lighthouse).
A small house for Mrs. Chas. F. Jarvis, designed by L.E. Gottfried, possibly in Carmel, Calif.
Caption on back: 'A small home on East Haley Street, Santa Barbara. John Oliver, owner and contractor; suggestions from the Community Drafting Room."
Caption on back of photograph: "6 - room house by A. B. Cook"
This Demonstration House #3 was located on Alameda Padre Serra street, near the Mission in Santa Barbara.
This house was a Demonstration House for the Better Homes Committee