Carleton Winslow: Bliss house (Montecito, Calif.)

adc_196_ff38_01bw.jpg
adc_196_ff37_004.jpg
adc_196_b11f330_002.jpg

Description

The Bliss house was one of Winslow's largest private commissions. The 80 room mansion for William and Anna Dorinda Bliss, at the corner of Olive Mill and Hot Springs Roads in Montecito, was to be their summer residence. The 45 acre estate, named Casa Dorinda, contained the main house, servant's quarters, garages, various outbuildings, and extensive gardens. The Bliss' were quite wealthy and they hosted many large parties, including for European royalty.
After Anna Bliss died in 1935, her daughter inherited the property and allowed the Navy to use it as a hospital during World War Two. It subsequently became a boarding school, then in the 1970s, a retirement communnity.

Creator

Carleton Winslow, architect

Source

Carleton Monroe Winslow Sr. papers, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.

Date

1916-1920

Rights

Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. University of California Regents.

Citation

Carleton Winslow, architect, “Carleton Winslow: Bliss house (Montecito, Calif.),” UCSB ADC Omeka, accessed December 6, 2021, http://www.adc-exhibits.museum.ucsb.edu/items/show/405.