Santa Barbara Community Arts Association
The Santa Barbara Community Arts Association was a non-profit corporation, founded on April 24, 1922. The non-profit’s stated purpose was “to afford individuals the opportunity of self-expression, training and education in Music, Drama and the Allied Arts and to aid in the cultural improvement of the people and in the beautification of the City of Santa Barbara.” The Community Arts Association contained four branches: Drama, Music, Plans and Planting, and the Art School. In November of 1922, the Community Arts Association received a five year grant of $25,000 a year from the Carnegie Corporation. The grant was secured through the efforts of Dr. Pritchett who at the time was the President of the Carnegie Corporation of New York and a current resident of the city of Santa Barbara. The work of each branch was under the control of its own board, which in turn, was responsible to the general board on which each branch had representation. The Santa Barbara Community Arts Association dissolved in the mid to late 1930s.
Santa Barbara Community Arts Association records, Architecture and Design Collection. Art, Design & Architecture Museum; University of California, Santa Barbara.
circa 1920s - circa 1930s
Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Copyright restrictions also apply to digital representations of the original materials. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owner. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user. University of California Regents.
Two story stucco house with tile roof.
A small house surrounded by a flower garden.
A two story house with garden and trees
A well manicured lawn and garden surround a single story stucco house
Exterior view of "Casa Santa Cruz" designed by architect James Osborne Craig for client Bernard Hoffman.
Exterior view of house with patio and landscaping
Exterior of house with loggia and lawn
Interior view of library with fireplace and desk
View of the Plaza Rubio houses from across the street in the Mission Rose Garden. Caption on back of photo reads: "Rubio Plaza Built by Mrs. J. C. Andrews, Craig arch."
View of exterior of two story stucco house with landscaping
Two story stucco house with small front yard
View of exterior of houses with stucco-covered walls and fences
This was a Demonstration House for the Better Homes Committee, owned by Mrs. B. Smith of the Mission Canyon neighborhood of Santa Barbara.
This is an exterior view of a Demonstration House for the Better Homes Committee, it is a house on Hermosa Road in Santa Barbara.
This house on Alameda Padre Serra in Santa Barbara was a Demonstration House for the Better Homes Committee.
This Demonstration House was listed as Class 3 by the Better Homes Committee, and was located on Quinientos Street in Santa Barbara.
This two story stucco house on Las Alturas Road in Santa Barbara was a Demonstration House for the Better Homes Committee.
This house is listed as Demonstration House Number 7 for the Better Homes Committee. Owners were Dr. and Mrs. Allin Williams for this house on East Padre Street.
This unidentified house on Western Avenue in Santa Barbara was a Demonstration House for the Better Homes Committee.
Caption on back of photograph: "Tied with Atlanta, George for First Prize Demonstration House #1 - East Yanonali St. Better Homes in America Campaign 1925"
This house on East Valerio and State Street was a Demonstration House for the Better Homes Committee.
This house won second prize in the House and Garden Competition in 1927. It was remodeled by Soule, Murphy & Hastings and is located near East Islay and Laguna Street in Santa Barbara.
This house on Middle Road in Montecito was designed by Lutah Maria Riggs.
This Demonstration House for the Better Homes Committee was located on East Cota Street in Santa Barbara.
This house on Ramona Lane in Montecito, was designed by Mary McLaughlin Craig.
This house received First Prize in the 4 Room Class for small homes. This Demonstration Home cost $2500 to build on East Cota Street in Santa Barbara.
This house was located on Olive Mill Road in Montecito.
This unidentified house was located in the Hope Ranch area of Santa Barbara.
The caption on the back of the photograph: "1926 Demonstration House #1 Better Homes in America Campaign in which the local Better Homes Committee won the National 1st Prize. Adobe brick on reinforced concrete foundation withstood earthquake."
View from the street of La Linda Vista bungalow court.
This house was a Demonstration House for the Better Homes Committee
This Demonstration House #3 was located on Alameda Padre Serra street, near the Mission in Santa Barbara.
Caption on back of photograph: "6 - room house by A. B. Cook"
Caption on back: 'A small home on East Haley Street, Santa Barbara. John Oliver, owner and contractor; suggestions from the Community Drafting Room."
A small house for Mrs. Chas. F. Jarvis, designed by L.E. Gottfried, possibly in Carmel, Calif.
Women standing outside El Faro building (the Lighthouse).